Siren Swim Top/Hello Sailor bottoms


Swimsuit patterns from Patterns for Pirates...Siren Swim Top and Hello Sailor bottoms. Both using blue solid swim knit and lining from JoAnn, and inner lining of power net from Phee Fabrics in the fronts only. Flounce on top is a leotard-type knit from JoAnn. I'll update when I know how it holds up in the pool.
I chose the drawstring-sided skirt option for the bottoms and the front (pointed) and back flounce option for the top (with straight straps). I didn't use boning or cups in the top. It is very supportive with the power net and custom length straps. (Not enough for running/jumping, but plenty for the pool.) I want to make some no-flounce tops for sleep bras.
This is one of the 2 or 3 more advanced projects I've done lately. There is lots of basting of layers and inner elastic before it comes together. I wasn't sure how my sewing machine was going to handle the slippery fabric. I don't have a walking foot and I can't adjust the presser foot tension. I also can't adjust stitch length or width beyond the 2 or 3 preset straight and zigzag stitches. It did fine. I did long straight stitches for basting (in contrasting colors) then picked them out after serging.
I didn't find it necessary to understitch the lining on the top to keep it from rolling outward. The pattern tells you to shorten the lining by .25". I think some people who had rolling problems maybe overlooked that step.
The topstitching on the bottom drawstring channels isn't perfect, (and the topstitching on the leg elastic is horrible, but it's hidden) but I'm really thrilled with this over all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye