Posts

Knitting FO: Liguria Brioche Cowl

Image
After 12 years of knitting, my first brioche knitting project. It's so smooshy! (And really not difficult at all.) This is Yarn Love Amy March DK yarn from Stitches West 2016. The original Liguria pattern is a hat. I cast on twice the number of stitches (med size) for a cowl. I had some yarn left over, maybe enough for a less slouchy hat, a child hat, or a child cowl.




Spring basics- Nina, Pegs, Bunzies

Image
Feeling inspired to use some of the fabrics I stashed after Black Friday sales. The floral DBP (So Sew English) became a Nina and Bunzies. The pink DBP (also SSE) became Peg Legs (as always, with the contour waistband from the add-on pack) to wear with the Nina (and a Free Spirit Tank in progress). The grey brushed DTY poly from Knitpop is becoming a Free Spirit Tank dress with armscye and sleeves from the Sweetheart dress. (Similar mashup tutorial here.) I made Bunzies with the leftovers. I love this DTY fabric but I'm not sure where to currently get more.


Cricut Crafts- Unicorn Pouch, Baby Gift, Star Wars Day Shirt

Image
Zipper pouch with a sequins behind a layer of clear vinyl. Regular, electric, glitter, and holographic Siser Easyweed HTV on a canvas fabric. This is a mashup of a See Kate Sew tutorial and graphics from Caluya Design.

Baby shower gift set- Baby Bear Joggers from Patterns 4 Pirates (print is Doodles cotton interlock from Joann and solid from Purpleseamstress) and HTV (Siser Easyweed) decorated onesies with graphics from LoveSVG

Shirt for Star Wars Day with free graphic from Thread & Grain.

Me Made May: Dany Sweet Tee and Super G Shorts

Image
Sweet Tee from Patterns for Pirates in Game of Thrones cotton/Lycra panels from Made Whimsy and solid from Purpleseamstress. I was planning on incorporating my pink dragon scales from Threaded Candy Customs for long sleeves, but it's almost summer now. I made the same size that I'd made in hacci sweater knit, but it was too tight in CL...really clingy in the back. (It probably would have been ok in a dark color, but the white is not very forgiving.) I took it apart and added a stripe of the teal all the way from sleeve to hip on both sides. (It's a dolman.) It's a little "sportier" than I had in mind with the side stripes, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Super G athletic tights pattern from Greenstyle Creations. I made a quick short, pockless version to check the fit because this is a new designer and new pattern for me. The shape that Greenstyle drafts for is further away from my shape than P4P's, but it wasn't too hard to adjust. The reason I bou…

Cat Purse Cricut Project

Image
I found the template and instructions for the purse base at See Kate Sew. I used Cricut brand metallic leather (rose gold). It takes 2 sheets but there is enough left over for some bracelets. I used the strong grip mat (smooth side of leather down) and the deep cut blade+housing. I used the setting for that material. It goes over each cut 3-4 times. It worked perfectly.
I had already downloaded this super cute free kitty face SVG here. I just resized it to fit the purse template. I used a mix of regular, "electric", and glitter Easyweed HTV. The bow is cut from the Cricut brand felt with the rotary cutting blade. I've learned it's better to use the "felt, acrylic" setting than the setting that corresponds to the Cricut brand felt.
My old Janome Jem Gold didn't have any trouble with the leather. I don't have a walking foot or Teflon foot or anything. I used a leather needle and regular thread.

Easter painting crafts

Image
Trying something new with my acrylic pouring. These had stencil vinyl applied after a solid base coat. The vinyl was removed after the pour was added on top. (Sort of a modified PVPP method.) More details below.


For this one I was trying to get separation between the green and pink (which worked great, inspired by this video) but I used too much white and lost some of the contrast with the white shimmer base cost). I added glitter paint to the lettering after uncovering it.
This came out great. I think the paint mixture was a little thick and/or not enough paint in the cup (these are all flip cup). I had to tilt the wood a lot to get coverage and lost some cells doing that. For this one I actually used 2 different flip cups at the same time to keep the color groups separated.

OK...alllll the details. The bunny shape is from Target and already had some kind of finish/laminate/paint on it. The egg was a wooden "charger" also from Target. I didn't put any sealer on these b…

Easter paper crafts

Image
Cardstock flowers from Cricut Design Space "make it now" section (Hoppin Easter Bouquet)
I've been trying so many different adhesives for paper crafting, but haven't been happy with any of them. I use textured cardstock, so that might be part of the problem. For this project I went back to good old fashioned rubber cement and it worked great! I used hot glue to attach the wire stems. I bought some new "less mess" glue sticks but haven't had a chance to try them yet.


Candy hugging animals project from Cricut Design Space. The machine draws and cuts. I figured these eggs might be too big for a 3yo to eat in one sitting (and I was right) but the project was so cute! I used glue dots to attach the paper animals to the candy wrappers.