Posts

Showing posts from January, 2018

Sunday Sews- Fleece JRRs, Bunzies, adult WTP

Image
I spent this weekend fighting off a sore throat, so I stayed home and sewed. I had enough fleece left over from S's pajama pants to make matching Jolly Roger Raglans with fleece on the front and solid C/l for the rest of the shirt. I ordered more fleece from JoAnn during a recent 70% off sale and made myself a pair of Walk the Plank pants. I had enough left to make S a matching set of pants and shirt. Unfortunately the elastic on mine is a little too long and it would be a huge pain to undo the stitching to shorten it. I might put in a drawstring.
I also made my first pair of Bunzies (pattern from Stitch Upon a Time on Etsy) with some C/L from JoAnn (print) and Purpleseamstress (solid). These are high waisted, full coverage.

Walk the Plank Pajamas

Image
I made S some pajama pants using some Star Wars fleece I found in the remnant bin at JoAnn. Usually I use CKC's Taylor Pajamas, but I decided to try the Patterns For Pirates pattern called Walk The Plank. The CKC pattern uses a casing for the elastic and the P4P pattern has the main fabric serged to the elastic at the edge, then turned over and topstitched while stretched.
I tried a similar method on the cat pajama shorts and my sewing machine threw a fit trying to sew the stretched elastic (ended up doing a casing instead), but I decided to give it a try with the serger. I previously preferred casings because I could have S try on the pants at the last stage of construction, and also possibly let out the elastic at a later date if I left extra. He usually outgrows by height before waist size, though, and he was around for me to try the elastic around his waist before doing that step of these pajamas.

Skull Nina Dress

Image
Made for Mermaids Mama Nina dress in double brushed poly from So Sew English. So fast and easy. I'm getting better at setting up my twin needle for hemming and using the wash away hem tape. For the bobbin thread I use stretch serger thread wound by hand.
I didn't realize this was a directional print when I ordered it (the upside down skulls are smaller), but I was still fine with 2 yards for size green because there wasn't any stripe matching or anything.

First Sew of 2018- Ragdoll Raglan

Image
Patterns For Pirates Ragdoll Raglan in slub rib poly/rayon/spandex knit from JoAnn. When this pattern was first released I didn't really think I needed it until I realized it would make a great warmup top for the gym. It's a dolman/raglan hybrid with the option for an open back.
This fabric is really soft but the magenta color bled really badly during prewashing. I hope it is ok now! It was part of my Black Friday sale haul.
I used a thumbhole cuff tutorial that I found on a random blog. This isn't the official P4P thumbhole tutorial that comes with the add-on pack for the other raglans.
I used a twin needle on my sewing machine to hem the back opening pieces. I highly recommend using wash away hem tape to help stabilize.
Update: of course I spilled chicken grease all over my shirt while wearing it for the first time. I used Dawn to get the stain out (eventually, after 3 washes). I used Color Catchers and didn't see any bleeding of the red color.