Isabel/circle skirt tentacle dress


I ordered a 58" Pulpo round and a 36" Pulpo round about a year ago from Rikipedia custom fabrics. The "fun rounds" are circular or square panels with a border print all around. My original plan was the Sweetheart dress from Patterns for Pirates, which is a circle skirt with a fitred bodice. Then I realized the 36" round wasn't big enough for both front and back bodice (or sleeves) and I didn't know what solid to use. I was also worried about making the bodice too small. The printed cotton/lycra is thick with strong recovery. I needed to go up a size in the Sweet Tee, but a lot of people told me they didn't need to size up in the Sweetheart. I sized up for a Sweetheart in ponte (an even thicker fabric) and it was a little big. I also didn't love the neckline, even after lowering it.

I decided to order a yard of "mini linear" Pulpo so I'd have enough fabric for whatever I decided on. It has small tentacles pointing in from each selvedge edge, with solid black in the middle.
I also ordered some solid black CL from Made Whimsy, after hearing hers was a good match for thicker prints.
I finally decided to make a faux wrap Isabel bodice with a circle skirt. (Isabel pattern from Made for Mermaids). The final inspiration to get it done was to have something to wear to  George RR Martin in conversation with artist John Picacio at the Fox Theatre in Redwood City this week.

Bodice fronts and solid sleeve from linear yardage, back and patterned sleeve from small round, skirt from large round. Bodice bands in solid black from Made Whimsy (not a perfect color match, but a good weight).




I made matching full coverage Bunzies b/c it's impossible to resist twirling in this dress and it's a little short.

I had enough of the linear yardage and solid white from the border of the small round to make a Jolly Roger Raglan for my son.


The parting gift for attending the talk was a choice of one of these Westeros coins...this is the back of a Quellon Greyjoy "gold" half-dragon. :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pokemon Halloween costumes