Easter painting crafts


Trying something new with my acrylic pouring. These had stencil vinyl applied after a solid base coat. The vinyl was removed after the pour was added on top. (Sort of a modified PVPP method.) More details below.


For this one I was trying to get separation between the green and pink (which worked great, inspired by this video) but I used too much white and lost some of the contrast with the white shimmer base cost). I added glitter paint to the lettering after uncovering it.

This came out great. I think the paint mixture was a little thick and/or not enough paint in the cup (these are all flip cup). I had to tilt the wood a lot to get coverage and lost some cells doing that. For this one I actually used 2 different flip cups at the same time to keep the color groups separated.


OK...alllll the details. The bunny shape is from Target and already had some kind of finish/laminate/paint on it. The egg was a wooden "charger" also from Target.
I didn't put any sealer on these before painting (I'm currently using GAC 100) for that, but I did apply gesso first. 
I'm using mostly the craft paints that they sell at Target because I like the colors. I applied the base coats of the color I wanted to show through the stencil effect.
I cut the stencil vinyl (Cricut brand) on my Cricut Maker using the "stencil vinyl" setting. The Cricut brand transfer tape was way too sticky and lifted some of the paint on the rabbit. I used contact paper as transfer tape on the egg and it didn't cause any damage but the stencil vinyl still didn't want to adhere to the paint. Maybe if I had sanded more after applying the gesso (I used a crappy brush that left deep grooves) or used matte paint. I ended up applying the stencil vinyl by hand piece by piece using a cardstock cut out as a guide (shown above). Then I burnished it really good and applied another layer of the undercoat color *over* the stencil. This is to seal the edges of the stencil so any bleeding is the same as the previous color and the next color won't be able to get under the edges.

When that was dry I got ready to pour.
The crafts I've done in the past for personal use have used glue as a pouring medium, but I wanted to try something higher quality/longer lasting in anticipation of making some pieces for a school auction.
I used the craft paint from Target, Floetrol, water to get the right consistency because the paint is thick, and a drop or two of silicone hair oil.
Both of these projects used flip cups.
I also bought some Liquitex medium but so far have just used the Floeteol. I also don't own a torch to help with bringing up the silicone bubbles to make cells. I got a lot of small cells and some pinholes with these pours.

I let the pour dry for about a day (a video I watched with this technique let it dry for longer, but I wanted to experiment) before peeling up the stencil vinyl. With this timing, the pour layer was still a little stretchy and I could use the weeding tool to sort of score along the edges (especially tight curves/corners) to help it peel cleanly.
After the paint had dried for a few more days, I applied 2-3 coats of Polycryllic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Sock Pattern: Rudy Got Sole

Rose of England Mosaic