Monday, March 26, 2007

Simple Stripes Fair Isle socks


Simple Stripes Fair Isle socks
Originally uploaded by Buxtrosion.
Pattern: Simple Stripes Fair Isle Socks from Knitpicks.com
Yarn: Essentials and Simple Stripes from Knitpicks
Needle: Size 1 Knitpicks 32" circular (magic loop, 1 sock at a time)
Methods: cuff-down, unwrapped short row (Sherman) heel, round toe

This was my first foray into two-handed stranded colorwork. The patterned parts were shockingly quick and easy. I suppose my continental practice dishcloth really helped.
I find the round toe really comfortable, but I missed getting to Kitchner. If I were doing this again, I'd probably work the heel on more stitches. The pattern calls for working the heel over 30 stitches for all sizes.

3 comments:

spinnity said...

Hey! It's you again! I was just poking around the web looking for inspiration for some Fair Isle socks to knit up a weird dyed yarn (my fault) and I found my new friend SpinalCat. Love the socks, and would love to see the pattern if you make it to CA Meetup on Sept 5th!

Deborah said...

I like the look of the Sherman heel -- this is the first time I've seen it. Have you ever tried the short-row heel from Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts? I wonder how they compare in ease of use and comfort/fit of the resulting heel. There's a partly-finished sock with the Gibson-Roberts heel on my blog now, if you want to see what it looks like in a sort of worst-case scenario (in that the decreasing and increasing rows are worked in different colors!).

Meg Vogl said...

I would like to make these socks, but the pattern is no longer being carried on KnitPics (I even called). Would you be willing to share the pattern?
mvogl@comcast.net