Recipe Roundup- Grain Free Treat Edition

Oh, hi! I just found this post from the holidays which was languishing as a draft. The season for wintery treats is mostly over, but here it is.

grain free pecan bars

Over X-mas, I tried out a few more grain free treat recipes. These vegan pecan bars were great despite my skepticism about the lack of eggs, even though the crust wasn't initially cooked all the way. We're pretty picky about pecan pie-like treats, being from Texas. "My" antique gas oven is incredibly uneven and I'm just now figuring out how to optimally use it. The top looked fairly brown, so I went ahead and poured on the topping (which initially didn't look voluminous enough but was really fine) and put it back in the oven. After letting it cool, I sliced into the bars to discover an oozing crust! I put a lid on the dish and put it back in the oven on the lowest rack until the crust firmed up.
These pumpkin bars (which happen to be vegan as well if you follow the recipe) were amazing! I couldn't find agar powder, so I used a packet of gelatin instead. They turned out maybe a smidge too firm, but they were delicious! I was skeptical about the crust not sticking so I sprinkled a little almond flour in the bottom of the dish. I don't think this was necessary. They bars didn't really stick to the dish- they peeled off easily once a corner was lifted.

The hands-down winner is still these dates stuffed with goat cheese. Dates are pretty much candy as-is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye