Saturday, August 15, 2009

WIP: Meezer Mitts

These are Cat Mittens by Jorid Linvik, available as a Ravelry download. She also has patterns with fish, dogs, frogs, and birds.


I'm using Claudia Hand Painted fingering weight in Chocolate and Magic Elixir. The one on the left was knit on US 1.5 needles, and is too small. I've switched to size US 2, and I think they will fit fine but may be a little shorter than I'd prefer.

Friday, August 07, 2009

FO Roundup: Indigo Ripples Skirt and Be Sweet Cloche

I finished the Indigo Ripples Skirt a little while ago but didn't have a chance to throw it in the washer and dryer for a few days. It's from Interweave Knits Sping 2007 for any non-Ravelry folks out there. Make sure to check the errata. I'm super-excited about how it turned out. It's at Yarndogs now, but I got to bring home the Bonsai Tunic that'd been there for a couple months. I used Rowan Denim yarn and had almost 2 balls left over from what the pattern called for although I got gauge. I didn't do most of the usual modifications people do to make the skirt sit lower, but it came out a little bigger than expected (or I'm a little smaller than I thought) so it sits lower anyway. That's ok cause my thighs are big enough to need their own increases. :)

I did work the left-leaning increase in the lace section as SSSK cause it's easier and looks more like a K3tog. I also switched the directions of increases on row 25 to fit in better. I changed the lace row in the ruffle to *K2tog 3 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, k2tog 3 times*. You can see why in this post. I promised a really clear picture of the finished ruffle, which will have to wait a few days.

So this is the Stirling Cloche from One-Skein Wonders or free Ravelry download, but I used the Be Sweet mohair boucle we carry at Yarndogs. Knitting with 2 strands of loopy mohair was harder than I expected, and fulling by hand was pretty tedious. If you want to make this, I'd recommend sticking with mohair and following the instructions for felting. There's a lot of projects on Ravelry that turned out tiny (from overfelting, I'd guess).


There's a pic on the Ravelry project page that shows how huge it was before felting. At one point it seemed like the fabric was fuzzing but not getting any smaller. I threw it down really hard in the bathtub a few times, and I think that helped. That's what we did with our nuno-felted scarves in Carin Engen's class in June.

On a technical note, I'm making sure to have text before the first Flickr-imported photo cause otherwise the RSS feed shows the Flickr code. Sorry to anybody who's been seeing my ugly feed on Ravelry.